Which items will add value to your home and help with resale when the time comes to sell?
The answer is: “Only the ones that future buyers will also want and be willing to pay for.”
As a general rule, choosing the functional over the merely cosmetic and choosing neutrals over unusual or exotic will pay at resale. Taste and current trends can also affect the value of an update. Unique colors have a limited appeal. If you know you're going to sell, the best idea is to call me before spending any money. I don't want you to spend money you'll get no return on in the investment.
Which updates will add the most value to your home?
- Update your kitchen and/or bathrooms. Whether you need a minor or major remodel, updating the kitchen or bathrooms in your home will yield a high return on investment. Be careful as cabinets can be pricey. Stay timeless with your updates, but also pay attention to trends.
- Increase usable space. Add an extra bathroom, upgrade or expand your kitchen and/or primary bedroom suite, add more closet space, or convert unused space into more functional space, like a spare bedroom to a home office or basement into the ultimate hangout space.
- Lighten and brighten your rooms. Paint rooms white or with a light color paint to neutralize your space. I recommend a warm color rather than a cool color from a design standpoint. An accent wall can be a nice touch. Add skylights, windows, or french doors.
- Revamp the exterior. Updated landscaping will draw in buyers before they walk through the door with a remarkable curb appeal. Keep your shrubs, trees, and grass trimmed and tidy. Add a splash of color with vibrant plants and paint the front door an eye-catching color. Consider an exterior focal point like a flagstone walkway, water feature, or an outdoor fireplace.
- Biggest bang for your buck. The least expensive improvements closest to the time to sell that will gain you the greatest reward will always be a professional paint job, correct flooring defects with a clever consistent approach, and a professional house cleaning.